Trusted Mitchellville Divorce Lawyers Protect Your Future
Helping clients in Prince George’s County with complex family law issues
The decision to divorce is often a difficult one to make. Tensions can run high, as you and your spouse attempt to divide the life you built together. At Cynthia H. Clark & Associates, LLC, we understand the challenges you face, and offer creative strategies to help protect your best interests. Our team of Mitchellville divorce lawyers put their 30 years of combined experience to work on your behalf, helping to ease you through the transition of a divorce, and to secure a future for you and your children.
What our attorneys do
Cynthia H. Clark & Associates, LLC offers a wide range of family law services to clients throughout Prince George’s County. Our aggressive approach has helped countless clients in Mitchellville and throughout Maryland when it comes to:
- Filing for divorce. Maryland has a six-month residency requirement for couples who wish to end their marriages through an absolute or limited divorce. If you have minor children, you must separate from your spouse for at least one year; however, this requirement may be waived for couples without children who have executed a Separation Agreement. Our in-depth understanding of Maryland law enables us to help clients through these initial steps.
- Modifying a decree. If you or your former spouse have experienced a change in circumstances, and you wish to change your custody and visitation agreement, or if one of you believes a change in the child support amount is necessary, you must go through the courts to make those changes. We handle modifications for our clients when needed.
- Alimony. Alimony payments are not guaranteed under the law, but we have obtained some of the most significant awards in Maryland’s history on behalf of our clients.
- Asset division. For couples with substantial assets, this can be a particularly contentious issue. We understand how to properly value your business and/or properties, and how to appraise stock portfolios and retirements funds. Cynthia H. Clark & Associates, LLC can protect your rights to retain your property under the law.
- Child support and custody. Unlike alimony, child support is based upon a formula. Child custody and access, however, can rely on a variety of factors. Ultimately, the court will do whatever is best for the children. Our Mitchellville family law attorneys can successfully make the case that your best interests are the same as your child’s, thus ensuring the security of your child now and in the future.
Special family law considerations
Non-traditional families may face unique challenges in the event of a divorce. Same-sex couples who have children through IVF or surrogacy may have an uphill battle in regards to custody and access if a second parent adoption was not performed. Likewise, a custodial parent may have significant hurdles to overcome when making a claim for child support.
Our firm also has extensive experience assisting military families. We are well versed in the applicable federal laws regarding deployment and residency, custody, pension division and procuring an automatic stay when one or both parents are deployed. At Cynthia H. Clark & Associates, LLC, you can be assured that we are familiar with the distinctive challenges you face, and know how to help you resolve those challenges effectively.
One of Mitchellville’s premier divorce and family law firms
Cynthia H. Clark & Associates, LLC provides comprehensive representation to clients in Mitchellville and throughout Prince George’s County. If you are facing a high-asset or complex divorce, we have the skills, resources and experience you want on your side. To reserve a consultation with a Mitchellville divorce attorney, please call 410.921.2422 or fill out this contact form.