Trusted Greater Upper Marlboro Divorce Lawyers Handle Complex Disputes and Needs

Skilled family law attorneys serving clients throughout Maryland

No couple plans a life that ends in divorce. When the difficult decision to end a marriage is made, you want to work with an experienced professional who understands your unique circumstances and needs, and who can help you keep what you worked so hard to build. At Cynthia H. Clark & Associates, LLC, we do just that. Our elite team of divorce attorneys help clients in the Greater Upper Marlboro area plan for a better future, tailoring our strategies to your particular goals. When the time comes for you and your spouse to go your separate ways, you can rely on our skilled and compassionate guidance to see you through.

Filing for a divorce in Maryland

Under normal circumstances, if you wish to file for a divorce, either you or your spouse must be a resident of Maryland for at least six months. If you and your spouse have children under the age of 18, you must live apart for a full 12 months in order to proceed. This is critical, as many couples these days will continue to live together even after they have decided to divorce – sometimes to save money, to have both parents present in the family home, or for other reasons entirely. Generally speaking, you cannot do this in Maryland. If, however, you and your spouse have executed a Separation Agreement, and you have no minor children, then the requirement for physical separation can be waived.

The grounds available for filing may depend on the type of divorce you choose. A limited divorce, in which you do not legally end your marriage (but you still can petition the court for assistance in the areas of child custody and support, visitation or alimony), has four filing options:

  • Separation
  • Desertion
  • Cruelty of Treatment
  • Excessive Vicious Conduct

An absolute divorce, where your marriage legally ends, and matters of custody, support, property division, and alimony are decided, has eight filing options:

  • Adultery
  • Insanity
  • Desertion
  • 12 Month Separation
  • Cruelty of Treatment
  • Excessive Vicious Conduct
  • Mutual Consent
  • Criminal Conviction

Related family law issues

Parties may be able to create a Marital Settlement Agreement that resolves their issues relating to property, support and their children. For many people, however, in the Greater Upper Marlboro region, a skilled divorce lawyer helps you cope with the additional issues you face, and presents your case to the court through detailed, thoughtful preparation and, when necessary, more aggressive and proactive strategies. At Cynthia H. Clark & Associates, LLC, we put our decades of combined experience to work for you in, in matters regarding:

  • Child support. Child support is largely formulaic; numbers are “plugged” in, and a fair sum is reached. We obtain the necessary documentation to ensure that your child is given what he or she needs.
  • Child custody. As Greater Upper Marlboro divorce attorneys, our role is to prove to the court that your best interests are aligned with the best interests of your children. We represent clients in both same-sex and traditional relationships, who are facing complex custody and access challenges.
  • Alimony. Alimony is spousal support, and it is never a guarantee. The court will review multiple factors before making a decision. Our skilled team has secured some of the most notable alimony awards in Maryland history for our clients.
  • Asset and property division. The division of a couple’s property can be contentious, especially when substantial assets come into play. We assist our clients through the valuation process, and handle complex claims with efficiency, so that you can keep what is rightfully yours.
  • Order modification. As time goes on, sometimes an existing order no longer works no longer meets one’s individual needs or that of their children. Cynthia H. Clark & Associates, LLC assists clients throughout the Greater Upper Marlboro area who are in need of modifying a divorce decree, a child support order or a child custody order.
  • Orders of Protection. If you believe that you or your children are in danger from your spouse, you should consider an Order of Protection. Our lawyers can explain the process and relief available, or help you modify or enforce an existing order.

Our firm represents clients throughout the state who face complex legal challenges regarding their divorce proceedings. We have particular knowledge of, and experience with, supporting military families – both servicemembers and civilians – who face unique circumstances regarding deployment and residence. You can rely on us to create options that work for you.

An exclusive team of divorce attorneys serving the Greater Upper Marlboro area

Cynthia H. Clark & Associates, LLC provide comprehensive family law solutions to families throughout the Greater Upper Marlboro area and surrounding regions. You can trust us to protect your interests and your future. To reserve your consultation time with an experienced divorce attorney, please call 410.921.2422 or fill out this contact form.